For Teachers

Teachers Council is a designated sponsor of the U.S. Department of State Exchange Visitor Program for Teachers. International teachers participating in this program come to the U.S. on a J-1 Visa. The J-1 Teacher Program is a nonimmigrant cultural exchange, which gives foreign teachers the opportunity to teach in accredited primary and secondary schools in the United States. Teachers may work in a U.S. school for up to 3 years, with the possibility of a 1 or 2 year extension.

The J-1 Teacher Program includes a cultural component which gives teachers the opportunity to engage more broadly with Americans and to share their own cultures with their U.S. hosting communities. At the end of the program, teachers return home with new classroom and pedagogic skills to share with their home communities and schools.


The J-1 Teacher Program allows international teachers the opportunity to come to the United States and complete a term of teaching at a United States school. If you meet the following qualifying requirements, we encourage you to complete an Initial Eligibility Form using the link below!

Eligible Teachers for the J-1 Program:

Are currently employed as a teacher in his or her home country, or country of legal residence.

If not currently employed as a teacher, within 12 months of his or her application submission date for the program, has or will have completed an advanced degree (beyond a degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree) in education or in an academic subject matter that he or she intends to teach or that is directly related to his or her teaching subject field.

Are non-U.S. citizens.
Are 18 years of age or older.
Have strong proficiency in spoken and written English.
Possess a degree that is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree in either general education, or in the specific academic subject field in which they intend to teach.
Meet the necessary qualifications for teaching in primary or secondary schools in their home country.
Have at least two (2) years of full time, post-degree classroom teaching experience as a lead teacher in a primary or secondary school.*
Are of good reputation and character.
Have the ability to satisfy the teaching eligibility standards, including any necessary certification or licensing, of the U.S. state or school in which they intend to teach.
Do not intend to use the program as a path to permanent residency or employment in the U.S.
*Experience as a part-time, assistant, intern, or student teacher does not count toward this requirement. Experience obtained prior to acquiring a bachelor’s degree does not count toward this requirement.
Teachers Council is authorized to sponsor J-1 programs in any state or territory of the U.S., provided that the teacher is able to meet the certification standards of the receiving school or school jurisdiction. We sponsor J-1 programs for teachers who have already been given tentative employment offers from U.S. schools. We also offer a Placement Program for qualified applicants that do not yet have a school, and would like assistance in finding a position at a qualified U.S. host school.

Interested foreign teachers can apply directly with Teachers Council without having to engage with a third-party organization or recruiter.